The Wardlaw+Hartridge School begins the 2023-2024 school year with its 141st Convocation Ceremony on Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 9 a.m. on the East Turf field in the back of campus. This year's event will include the Installation of Dr. Corinna Crafton as our new Head of School.
Dr. Corinna Crafton's Installation marks another significant chapter in the school's proud history as she is the first female Head of School appointed since Wardlaw Country Day School and The Hartridge School merged in 1976. Dr. Crafton is the sixth Head of School in the history of the merged school.
A Glimpse at Our History
Founded as The Leal School for Boys in 1882 and The Misses Scribner and Newton's School for Girls in 1884, both in Plainfield, NJ, these later became respectively The Wardlaw School, after Charles Digby "Pop" Wardlaw moved from teacher to Head and purchased the school in 1916, and The Hartridge School, when Miss Emelyn Hartridge became her school's Head and owner in 1903.
From their earliest days, the schools developed a reputation for powerful preparation for college. Mr. Leal's School was singled out by Yale and Harvard for providing fine preparation for their colleges. Hartridge graduates filled six key college leadership posts in one year in the 1920's, at Vassar, Smith, Radcliffe and Wilson. Hartridge earned a national reputation for pioneering science education to girls and young women. In 1976, The Wardlaw School and The Hartridge School merged, becoming a coeducational PreKindergarten though Twelfth Grade School. Our dedicated faculty embraces the core values of the school’s long and rich history.
140 years later, we are one school on one campus, located in Edison, NJ. We continue to focus on the legacy of the past and draw strength from the academic excellence Wardlaw+Hartridge ensures for the future. We are proud to be a top choice in private and preparatory education for students throughout Middlesex County and the state of New Jersey, as well as from around the country and globe.
Important Dates in Our History
- 1869 Misses Hayward's English and French School for Young Ladies and Little Girls Founded
- 1882 Mr. Leal's School Founded
- 1884 The Misses Scribner and Newton's School for Girls Founded
- 1886 The Vail-Deane School Founded
- 1903 The Hartridge School Founded
- 1916 Wardlaw Country Day School Founded
- 1976 The Wardlaw-Hartridge School Merger
- 1991 The Vail-Deane School Closes, Integrated with W-H
- 1996 Wardlaw-Hartridge Consolidates to one campus on Inman Avenue